Friday, April 29, 2011

Blueberry Scones

I may never buy a coffee house scone again!
Do you remember July 29, 1981?  I do.  Watching a real, live fairy tale unfolding before my eyes.  Now, the world is ready and a new generation will be able to share stories with their children about the day that William married Kate.

What better way to celebrate watching the festivities than enjoying a cup of Earl Grey and a blueberry scone?  In honor of the big day, I decided to push my baking envelope a bit...after all, I've ordered a small fortune in scones at coffee houses.  It's about time I learned to make them myself!  And, to my pleasant surprise, they are easy!  Crazy easy.

Ok, I cheated...my scones are not an old British recipe passed down through the ages.  No, my recipe is from a good friend, Martha White.  Perhaps you know her from her muffins.  That's right...the 88 cent muffin mix!  Don't judge...just try them!

Note to self: Add pastry blender to William-Sonoma shopping list.


Blueberry Scones Recipe from Martha White


Ingredients

Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray (I used parchment paper...as always!)
Scones
2 (7 oz.)packages Martha White® Blueberry Muffin Mix
1/4cup butter, chilled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2cup sour cream

 

Preparation Directions

1.HEAT oven to 400º F. Coat large cookie sheet with no-stick spray. Place muffin mix in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until texture of small peas. Stir in sour cream until combined.  Note:  I didn't have a pastry blender so I just cut my butter into small slices and used the KitchenAid on slow stir.  I've read the consistency should be that of wet sand.
2.PRESS together with floured hands. Place on lightly floured surface. Press together and knead 3 to 4 times until smooth ball forms. Pat out into a 6-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges with large knife or pizza cutter. Place on prepared pan. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes on pan. Gently remove to cooling rack.
3.STIR together cream cheese, sugar, orange peel and orange juice in medium bowl until well blended. Serve with scones.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
Serving size: 8 Scones
Pastry blender from Williams-Sonoma

No comments:

Post a Comment