Friday, March 4, 2011

Cafe au lait, anyone?

First batch of beignets...not Cafe du Monde, but not bad!
I'll admit, I've never been to Mardi Gras nor have I ever visited New Orleans.  (It's on my list.)  However, I love all things Cajun and Creole almost as much as I love jazz and Harry Connick, Jr.

Last year around Mardi Gras, I had the hankering for some beignets.  Not exactly something you can run to the bakery and buy (at least in Georgetown).  Now, I will say that if you live or work near downtown Lexington, Doodle's is your beignet fix!

The official mix from Cafe du Monde
What to do to satisfy this craving?  I know some markets actually carry the official Cafe du Monde beignet mix.  Again, I'm in Georgetown...so, to my fav cooking site Allrecipes.com!  (Have I mentioned how much I love this site?)   I found a pretty simple (if a beignet recipe can be simple), straightforward entry with a slew of great reviews.  Another thing I love about Allrecipes.com is that other folks try out the recipes listed and give feedback kind of like Amazon.com.  (I'm one of those nerds who loves to read reviews and ratings.)

The ingredients were simple enough.  The directions not too complicated.  I realized, though, that having a Fry Daddy would have been handy!  The result...not too bad!  Light, cripsy and sweet...and perfect with a hot cup of cafe au lait!


BEIGNETS
(from Allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F
/45 degrees C)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
7 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup shortening
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions:
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, eggs, evaporated milk, and blend well. Mix in 4 cups of the flour and beat until smooth. Add the shortening, and then the remaining 3 cups of flour. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
2. Roll out dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares. Fry in 360 degree F (180 degrees C) hot oil. If beignets do not pop up, oil is not hot enough. Drain onto paper towels.
3. Shake confectioners' sugar on hot beignets. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment