Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Starbucks Via Infused Minis

Starbucks Via Infused Cupcakes
Ever have one of those days when the only remedy is the drive thru at Starbucks?  Or maybe the venti latte (double shot) and some dark chocolate?  Yes, my coworkers and I have those days often.  In fact, we love our coffee so much, we decided to be part time baristas last Halloween!  (We were pretty cute I'll admit.)

What could be more natural than combining both of these life changing antidotes into a cupcake?  To celebrate the birthday of one of my coworkers, I decided to liven up a normal chocolate cupcake by adding a pack (or three) of Starbucks Via.   The cake itself was the old standby Duncan Hines Devil's Food (already had in the pantry).  Literally, the only change was adding the Via to the batter while mixing.

To top it off, some homemade dark chocolate buttercream.  I used the time tested Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting....the same recipe my mom has used for years.  Yes, it's the one on the Hershey's Cocoa box!  Careful with this frosting, though...it's persnickety!  I add the vanilla last and keep the milk handy as it will have almost a cement consistency rather than a nice, fluffy frosting.  I add more milk by the teaspoon until it looks nice and spreadable.  Most important - always use real butter!  Margarine's fine for toast, but it has to be real butter for frosting!  (Yes, I've learned the hard way!)

I found baking these in mini form was most effective as there was a lot of punch...rich, dark caffeinated chocolatey goodness!

From the back of the Hershey's Cocoa box:
"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa 3 cups powdered sugar 1/3 cup milk 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment