Friday, February 18, 2011

Cool Trick - Dipped Cupcakes


One of the coolest tricks I've learned (both by reading & by doing) is soooo easy!  Yes, infomercial easy!  I found that many of the cupcakes that Tack & Richardson create require a dipping technique.  Ok, that was (admit-tingly) one of the many daunting things that caused me to look at the pretty pictures, then set the books back on my shelf. But, once I really stumbled upon the previously mentioned blog (With Sprinkles on Top) and found a couple of YouTube videos, I realized it really was crazy easy.

Here's the technique - seriously, it's easy.  Take store-bought icing.  That's right.  Get it on sale.  Use double coupons.  If you need color, divide it out into some microwave safe bowls.  I use gel coloring - it's more concentrated and has great consistency.  A little goes a long way!  For the cupcakes in this picture, I evenly divided one container into 2 Corning Ware bowls (cereal size - microwave safe).   Put one bowl in the microwave (make sure you've mixed the colors well). I microwaved for 12 seconds.  Tack & Richardson suggest 8, but I think that's too short.  Stir well, then immediately dip a cupcake.  Let it drip dry (sort of) and set it back on the tray, wax paper or wherever.   Repeat. Then, do the same with the next bowl of color!


Ta-da!  Cool trick....plus, looks like fondant!  Who knew?
I see lots of uses for this nifty trick.  Apparently it's how petit fours are made, so I tried it with mini cupcakes and they were really cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment